Courtney Crane, Media Intern
Image: The Monash Beach Volleyball team
The Monash University women’s and mixed beach volleyball teams got off to a promising start yesterday, helping to ease the disappointment of the men's withdrawal from the competition due to injury.
With two consecutive wins for the women and a win and loss for the mixed team on day one, team manager Michael Cook is hoping for a straight run of victories when day 2 of the beach volleyball competition kicks off this morning.
“The atmosphere at the beach is always awesome,” said Michael. “Everyone is just really happy to be there, and hopefully today we can go just as well or even better than yesterday.”
Congratulations also to the Monash Taekwondo team, who won their competition yesterday, and in doing so were successfull in defending their title from 2009. Congratulations also men’s hockey, who had a 7-0 win over University of Newcastle, and the mixed netball team for their two very convincing victories over University of WA and University of Notre Dame on day one of their competition.
Success for sailing team
Lloyd Gordon, Marketing Officer
Image: The Women's Netball team at AUG in 2008
The Monash University Sailing team has got off to a great start at the 2010 Australian University Games by winning a silver medal in the teams racing event.
The two day event involves a series of races that require teams of three boats (6 people) to score a combined win over their oponents.
Experienced race-sailor and Team Manager, Kingsley Pursch commented on the competition; "you can come first for yourself but that is no good if your team-mates are being beaten by your oponents. So the three boats must work together and shut down their oponents rather than sailing for outright speed and glory".
Team skipper Jacqueline Gurr also commented on the early success; "Team racing is extremely tactical, and a unique sailing event".
Monash University defeated Sydney University of Technology in an elimination final, and University of NSW in the semi-final, before losing to copmetition favourites University of WA in the final gold medal round.
Credit must be given to UWA who have an exceptionally skilled team of high profile sailors.
The sailing team now looks forward to the second half of the sailing schedule which involves match racing on 36 foot yachts.
- AFL Men: MON 46 def ACU 28
- AFL Women: MON 14 def UWA 3
- AFL Women: MON 13 def by ECU 40
- Badminton Men: MON 6 def UWA 3
- Badminton Women: MON 6 def UWA 3
- Baseball: MON 4 def by USYD 11
- Baseball: MON 5 def by MELB 8
- Basketball Men: MON 44 def MQU 32
- Basketball Men: MON 22 def by UWA 33
- Basketball Women: MON 67 def RMIT 21
- Beach Volleyball Mixed: MON 1 def by QUT 2
- Beach Volleyball Mixed: MON 2 def MELB 0
- Beach Volleyball Women: MON 2 def VU 0
- Beach Volleyball Women: MON 2 def LTU 0
- Football (Soccer) Men: MON 1 def USYD 0
- Football (Soccer) Women: MON 1 def MDU 0
- Football (Soccer) Women: MON 1 def UNE 0
- Handball: MON 8 def by CURT 20
- Hockey Men: MON 7 def NCLE 0
- Hockey Women: MON 0 def by QUT 2
- Hockey Women: MON 0 def by UWA 1
- Hockey Women: MON 0 def by UTS 2
- Lawn Bowls: MON 0 def by CURT 3
- Lawn bowls: MON 1 def by UOW 2
- Netball Mixed: MON 36 def UWA 21
- Netball Mixed: MON 44 def UNDA 15
- Netball Women: MON 35 def by LTU 39
- Rugby 7's: MON 21 def by BOND 26
- Rugby 7's: MON 22 def CURT 17
- Squash Men: MON 106 def by ECU 191
- Squash Men: MON 151 def by UWA 171
- Squash Women: MON 159 def ECU 133
- Table Tennis Mens Teams: MON 9 def UWA 2
- Tennis Mens: MON 4 def UWA 1
- Tennis Womens: MON 5 def UNSW 0
- Tennis Womens: MON 0 def UWA 5
- Tenpin Bowling: MON 5 def MDU 0
- Tenpin Bowling: MON 2 def by JCU 3
- Touch Rugby Men: MON 14 def CURT 0
- Touch Rugby Men: MON 17 def UWS 2
- Touch Rugby Mixed: MON 5 def UBAL 0
- Touch Rugby Mixed: MON 1 def by RMIT 13
- Touch Rugby Women: MON 7 def QUT 3
- Ultimate Frisbee: MON 13 def MELB 10
- Ultimate Frisbee: MON 15 def ANU 4
- Volleyball Men: MON 2 def by AU 3
- Volleyball Women: MON 3 def ECU 0
- Volleyball Women: MON 3 def AU 1
- Water Polo Men: MON 11 def ECU 7
- Water Polo Men: MON 10 def CSU 5
- Water Polo Women: MON 7 def DEAK 5
- Water Polo Women: MON 9 def NCLE 4
- Water Polo Women: MON 4 def USYD 9
For full results please see the Australian University Sport website